A fragrant relish perfect for cheese platters and burgers
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1 small spanish onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 slices fresh orange peel (use a vegetable peeler)
- 1 Tb seeded mustard
- 1 very large beetroot grated (250g)
- 1/4 cup balsamic
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- In a saucepan, heat oil on a medium heat and add Spanish onion, cloves, bay leaf, orange peel and seeded mustard. Stir every minute for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add grated beetroot, balsamic, brown sugar and water and leave to simmer string every 5 minutes. You may need to reduce heat at this stage.
- Simmer for about half an hour or until all liquid is reduced.
Add more water and continue to simmer if beetroot needs to soften.