On a recent trip to Melbourne, my husband and I stopped in at Pony Fish Island for a glass of mulled wine. We sat and read our books, looked out at the beautiful city across the river and sipped delicious warming cups of spiced wine. I, of course, took notes on the flavours I was tasting, adding them to my mental shopping list ready to re-create the drink when we got home.
Mulled wine is reminiscent of Christmas with it’s warming, comforting spices and perfect for pre-dinner drinks for a dinner party as all the preparation can be done an hour or so before guests arrive. Just make sure you don’t heat the wine too much unless you want the alcohol to evaporate.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled ready for cocktails for a larger number of people.
Warm Spicy Mulled Wine
- 750mls (1 bottle) of red wine- something smooth and mellow like a Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/4 cup caster sugar or alternate, honey, maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup brandy (optional)
- 3 cinnamon quills
- 3 star anise
- 10 cloves
- Juice from 1 & 1/2 oranges strained
- 10cm piece of orange rind (use a peeler)
- 1/2 orange sliced to serve
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker or saucepan and stir.
- Warm gently until hot but not simmering.
I prefer to use a slow cooker as the mulled wine stays warm really allowing the flavours to develop. The flavour is similar to that of Sangria. This recipe is approximately eight standard drinks.
Enjoy this winter warmer,
Subscribe now and receive 5 Ways to Save Time & Money in the Kitchen