As with most of my recipes on this site I write them for me. Despite making the same thing over and over again I still forget the best way to make the food I love. This recipe was inspired by my recent Ubershape challenge. It’s easy and delicious. Providing you have a great tasting protein powder, these post workout oats remind me of eating a fresh blueberry muffin. I make them the night before so they are ready to go, without a fuss.
Post Workout Chilled Oats
- 1/3 cup steel-cut oats (I use the Woolies Macro Organic brand)
- 1 cup water (plus 1/3 extra)
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
- Simmer oats and water on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Take oats off the heat and leave to sit while the oats absorb the remaining water.
- Add 1 scoop of protein powder and an extra 1/3 cup water and stir to combine.
- Place in jar or container and top with frozen berries and refrigerate overnight.
Optional: Soak the steel-cut oats for at least 4 hours or overnight in the cup water. The extra water is needed if your protein powder soaks up water. Trial and error is best for this. Some proteins I use don’t require any extra water other need it or my oats go gluggy. Lastly, come protein will curdle if mixed in while the oats are too hot.
During the winter these oats are great eaten warm.