This recipe came about after an 8-week challenge I completed. Knowing eggs and vegetables are good for you and wanting to eat them every morning are two very different things. after 6 weeks of my usual vegetable frittata although it was delicious I didn’t want to see another one ever. Enter the Zucchini and Cauliflower Breakfast Fritter. A good balance of texture and yum. I could happily eat this every morning and it’s an easy fat burning recipe to prep a few mornings in advance too. Winning!
Zucchini and Cauliflower Breakfast Fritter
Ingredients for 2 serves
- 2 zucchini grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 handfuls of cauliflower roughly chopped or broken
- Choice of herbs and seasoning (try 1 clove garlic crushed, 2Tb fresh coriander, salt, pepper)
- Add the cauliflower to a non-stick frypan on med-high with a tsp of oil and toss every couple of minutes until it has a little colour.
- While you are browning the cauliflower grate the zucchini and add in the eggs and seasoning and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg and zucchini mix to the frypan on top of the cauliflower and cook until the fritter is nearly set or begins to be golden on the bottom.
- Continue to flip until the fritter is cooked through.
- Great served hot or cold.
- Placing a lid or plate on the frypan can help the fritter cook through.
- Don’t be concerned if the fritter breaks as you turn it. It all tastes the same in the end. However, you can add a little flour if that bothers you.
- You can make smaller fritters to top a salad or for easy snacking.
- Adding some frozen corn to the uncooked batch can add some nice texture, sweetness and crunch. If you are not wanting to mix fats and carbs simply omit the oil when browning the cauliflower and use 5 egg whites opposed to 2 eggs and 2 egg whites.