Fennel, Orange and Rocket Salad with Honey Glazed Walnuts is one of those recipes that can be tweaked depending on what you have on hand. You don’t need to be too particular with quantities either. Spicy rocket, sweet oranges, the aniseedy flavour of fresh fennel and crunchy of walnuts is a heavenly combination. Aim for equal quantities of rocket and fennel, some bulbs can be smaller some larger so just adjust the rocket to match.
Fennel, Orange and Rocket Salad with Honey Walnuts
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 large handfuls of rocket
- 1-2 oranges cut into segments
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tsp honey (plus more for the dressing)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey (can substitute for sugar or rice malt syrup)
- 1 tsp white vinegar (lemon juice or lime juice can substitute)
- If you have the time lightly coat the walnuts in the 2 tsp honey and roast for a few minutes until golden. On 180C they take about 6 minutes but watch them closely as they can burn easily.
- Slice fennel thinly and mix through the rocket.
- Layer orange segments and walnuts and drizzle with dressing.
- Dressing: add all ingredients to a blender and blend. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk with a fork until combined.
This recipe is a great one to go with slow cooker pulled pork. It’s fresh summery and feels festive.