Taking the time to cook breakfast on a Saturday really sets the tone for a great weekend. This Spanish eggs recipe is healthy, full of flavour and a great excuse to save your cafe dollars and stay home.
Weekend Spanish Eggs Recipe
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 Tb oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried chilli (or more if you like a chilli kick)
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp brown sugar (or rice malt syrup)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar (or lime juice)
- 500g fresh chopped tomatoes (approximately 3 tomatoes or substitute for 1 tin of crushed tomatoes and 1 Tb tomato paste)
- 1/2 red capsicum chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup water
- 400g can rinsed beans (try cannellini, broad, kidney or beans)
- 6 eggs
- accompaniments- parmesan and parsley for an Italian twist or coriander, a soft feta and avocado all work well as does toasted ciabatta
- Fry onion in oil until soft in a large frypan.
- Add oregano, cumin, paprika, chilli, salt, and capsicum (if using) and coat in spices for 30 seconds.
- Add tinned tomatoes, crushed garlic, beans, water, balsamic and sugar then bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat to a slow simmer then make hollows in the beans for each of the eggs one at a time.
- Cover the pan with a lid or plate and leave for 3 minutes before checking. Continue checking and replacing the lid every minute until the egg whites are white and the yolks are cooked to your liking.
- Serve with your choice of accompaniments.
Tips, tricks & variations
- Try this dish with chorizo or breakfast sausage. Simply fry the chorizo or sausage with the onion.
- With Scrambled eggs: Instead of cracking eggs into the Spanish bean mix, put the bean mix to one side and scramble eggs separately. This is a great option if you are wanting to eat the bean mix over a few days or freeze it.
You’ll love this!
Subscribe Now and receive my FREE menu planner!