Caesar Salad when done well can be an absolute star on the table. This is nothing like the store bought vinegary sauces you’ve seen, its absolutely delicious. Most recipes require you to par boil an egg for the dressing but after multiple attempts, in my option it’s a waste of time. In that sense, this Caesar dressing is not ‘traditional’ as it’s based on a whole egg mayonnaise base, but once you try it then you’ll never bother peeling hot, par boiled eggs again. Caesar salad Dressing keeps for a week in the fridge in a sealed jar.
Caesar Salad Dressing
- 1 egg
- 1/2 garlic clove (1/4 – 1/2 tsp) minced
- 1 Tb Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp lemon or lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 anchovies or salt to taste
- 3/4 light olive oil
- water to loosen
I’d suggest a stick blender or food processor with a pouring hole is a must for this recipe. The oil needs to be drizzled in very slowly initially so that the dressing doesn’t split. If you are trying to use a ninja bullet or processor with a screw on lid you’ll need to take it on and off so many times you’ll go crazy. Failing this you could try the good ol’ fashioned hand held whisk.
- Place all ingredients except oil into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle oil in very slowly at first allowing the dressing to thicken.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. (Sweetness comes from Worcestershire, bite from the citrus, salt from the anchovies/salt).
- Add water 1 Tb at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Caesar Salad Recipe
- Cos Lettuce chopped or torn then coated in the dressing
- Cooked bacon (pan fry or on the BBQ) chopped finely
- Boiled eggs quartered
- Chicken (pan fry or BBQ with a little oil and salt) sliced
- Croutons, in you can be bothered- Pan fry or bake slices of bread in a little butter, garlic and salt. To be honest I usually don’t bother as the dish feels so indulgent already. Avoiding the carbs make me feel like its probably healthier than it is.
The same ingredients on a burger, wrap or cos lettuce wrap is super yum.