Chicken and corn dumplings arrived on our dinner table as I attempted to widen my daughter’s love of meat and three veg meals. She’s the best at eating most veggies and meats, just don’t mix anything together to create a ‘dish’ or she won’t eat it.
These dumplings are my attempt at putting familiar ingredients together to push the envelope a little. Swapping pork mince for chicken mince, and water chestnuts for corn kernels, the results are a yummy interactive meal for the whole family. Thanks to Vita for providing the original ‘Asian dash’ recipe inspiration.
I’ve feel as though I’ve arrived as a parent. My child now has a rotation on non mainstream faves including Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni, Spaghetti Bolognese, Tacos, and now dumplings. I couldn’t be prouder.
*For a low carb version, you can pan fry the dumpling mix separately into little patties similar to a fish cake.
Chicken and Corn Dumplings
- 500g chicken mince
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 egg
- 1Tb fish sauce
- 1 Tb sesame oil (use half the amount for pork mince- chicken mince is naturally leaner so it needs the extra fat for texture)
- garlic clove crushed
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 2 Tb fresh coriander chopped
- 1tsp cornflour
- 1 pack wonton wrappers
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and put a large pot of water on the stove to boil.
- Add a spoonful of mixture to a wonton wrapper, lightly wet the edge and press down with a fork. (at this point I admit this version is a hybrid ravioli method, but I like it as you get more filling and less wrapper. If you want to be more legit buy dumpling wrappers follow wrapping instructions on YouTube.
- When water is boiling add dumplings to the pot and turn put down to a simmer. Be careful not to overcrowd the pot.
- Using a strainer, check a dumpling at around 8 mins cooking time. If the wonton wrapper needs a little more cooking cook for another 1-2 minutes, or if they are ready take them out.
- Dumplings freeze well uncooked. To cook simply place in boiling water frozen and add an extra 4-5 mins cooking time.
- For a quick, easy dumpling sauce check this recipe out. Only four ingredients.