Everyone needs a good brownie in their repitiour. This one is simple to make, only uses one bowl, dense and chocolatey and it is easily adapted for afternoon tea or a decadent dessert.
- 200g quality dark chocolate
- 175g unsalted butter
- 1 cup (200g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 130g (2/3 cup) plain flour or 150g almond meal (for gluten free)
- 3 eggs
- Optional mix ins **
- Pre heat oven to 170C and line a slice tray with baking paper
- On a low heat melt dark chocolate and butter until chocolate has just melted. Then take off the heat.*
- Mix in caster sugar and vanilla straight into the bowl/saucepan
- Mix in 130g (1/3 cup) plain flour (or 150g almond meal for gluten free version)
- Add 3 eggs and any optional mix ins**
- Pour brownie mix into tray and bake for 30-35mins at 170oC or until just set in the middle
*Use a microwave safe bowl in the microwave or use a larger saucepan on the stove top.
**Optional mix ins
Add 2 handfuls of nuts like walnuts or try 2 handfuls of chopped white chocolate or frozen raspberries
Plaistowe or Cadbury dark chocolate will give the best flavour. Basically the better the chocolate tastes, the better the brownie will taste.
This brownie refrigerates and freezes well so you can make ahead.
To serve as a dessert just add a scoop of quality ice cream (either vanilla or a nut style is my favourite) and some easy berry coolie.
Berry Coolie: 1 cup defrosted frozen berries mixed with 1 tsp of caster sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 Tb of Cointreau or orange juice.
If you have enjoyed this recipe or have any suggestions I would love to hear from you. Just comment below. You can also follow Carly’s Recipe on Instagram @carlysrecipe
Pictured below with berries and Greek yoghurt.