Last year I made a sugar free Gingerbread for a festive option for afternoon tea, but this year I just wasn’t feeling it. Being somewhat of a bliss ball fanatic I played around in the kitchen a little and came up with these. Gingerbread bliss balls: all the taste of Christmas without the refined sugar and extra carbs.
Gingerbread Bliss Balls
- 2 cups almond meal
- 5 dried dates
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg*
- 1/2 tsp cardamon*
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves*
- 2 Tb roughly chopped almonds*
- 3 Tb coconut oil
- 2 Tb rice malt syrup, maple syrup or honey
*Nutmeg, cardamon and ground cloves are optional; they add depth to the gingerbread flavour but they’re not essential. Pick and choose what you have available in the cupboard. Chopped nuts give the gingerbread balls some texture, but are also not essential.
- Blend dates with half of the almond meal and spices in a food processor, bullet or mortar and pestle until the mixture is combined.
- Tips the date and almond mix into a bowl and add the rest of the almond meal, chopped nuts, coconut oil and rice malt syrup.
- Stir the mixture to combine then roll mixture into balls and refrigerate in an airtight container.