These sugar-free, raw chocolate treats make the perfect healthy alternative to processed chocolate. Raw cacao is full of magnesium and high in antioxidants, while coconut oil improves digestion and immunity.Sugar-Free Raw Chocolate Recipe
- 1/2 cup organic raw cacao
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup (or maple syrup or honey)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (1/4 first then 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 coconut cream
- optional flavours- try toasted nuts or coconut, chilli powder, sea salt, strawberries or peppermint oils
- 2 Tb raw cacao
- 2 tsp honey (or 1 Tb rice malt)
- 1 Tb raw coconut oil
- 3 Tb coconut oil extra
- Mix cacao, rice malt syrup and 1/4 cup coconut oil together in a bowl to form a thick paste. Mix until all lumps are gone.
- Slowly mix in the extra 1/2 cup coconut oil until you have a smooth liquid chocolate mixture.
- Mix in the coconut cream if you are using- see personal note for the difference.
- If you are adding additional flavours, add them at this point. I love to line up little bowls and make small portions of a few different add-ins.*
- Pour mixture into chocolate moulds or mini patty pans and leave in the fridge to set for at least 3 hours.
On a personal note
It took a few experimental mixtures to come up with this recipe as I kept getting white spots on the chocolate as it set. The coconut cream stops this, but you can leave it out for a firmer chocolate however you will get the spots. The extra step of adding more coconut oil gives you a smoother consistency otherwise, the rice malt syrup will separate from the mix.
This chocolate will melt at room temperature so technically it’s more like fudge…but it will definitely hit the chocolate spot and is a great healthy alternative.
- Chilli chocolate, add 2 tsp of chilli powder to the chocolate mixture and chilli flakes to decorate.
- Salted chocolate, grind some sea salt into the chocolate before refrigerating then sprinkle on a little extra after it sets.
- Peppermint chocolate, add a few drops to taste.
- Berry chocolate a small slice of strawberry or raspberry added into the chocolate mould is delicious also.
- Coconut Rough, add 2 Tb toasted coconut into the mixture.
- Roasted nut Chocolate, add 2 Tb roasted nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, macadamia etc).
*Ensure roasted nuts and coconut have cooled before adding into the chocolate mixture.