This quick and easy curry is my favourite of all curries. Rich, creamy and on the milder side too.
- 1 Tb peanut oil*
- 2 chicken breast
- 1 Tb Penang curry paste** my favourite brand is Mae Ploy
- 3 heaped cups (or 1 large plate of a mix of veggies)***
- 1 can quality coconut cream trident is good
- 1 Tb brown sugar
- 1 Tb pure crunchy peanut butter or ground peanuts
- Extra water if needed (all veggies and meat differ so depending on how much water comes out of them you may need to add more water.)
- Mix the peanut butter with a couple of tablespoons of the coconut cream and set aside.
- Heat wok to hot.
- Add oil to wok and and fry curry paste and any harder veggies (onion, carrot, brocoli, cauliflower, bok choy stems) for 2 minutes stiring constantly
- Add in chicken, coconut cream, peanut butter mixture and the rest of the veggies and simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the veggies are just cooked but still crunchy. Add a couple of tablespoons of water if the curry is too dry.
- Turn off the heat and stir in sugar and salt to taste
Tips and Tricks
*I use peanut oil as it withstands high temperatures and it doesn’t have a strong flavour. Any other oil is fine.
**You can generally buy this in single use pouches in the supermarket or better yet buy a tin from an Asian grocer. A whole tub is around $5 and you will get at least 10 curries from it.
***Example veggies: 1/4 onion, 1 carrot, 1 bok choy, 1/2 capsicum, handful of snow peas, 1/4 brocoli. You can use whatever you have on hand- cauliflower, mushrooms, beans, mini corn etc
We mix it up depending on how I am feeling as to what we serve the curry with. Jasmine or brown rice, cauliflower rice or just the curry as is. If we are short on time I put jasmine rice in a big microwave safe bowl in the microwave (rinse rice then 1 cup rice to 1 2/3 cups water) and microwave for 12 mins. I check it and if needed cook for another 1-3 mins. If I do this first then by the time the rice has finished then the curry is ready. Faster than any takeaway!!
If you have enjoyed this recipe or have any suggestions I would love to hear from you. Just comment below. You can also follow Carly’s Recipe on Instagram @carlysrecipe