A healthy alternative to traditional Christmas rum balls around Christmas time. Perfect with an afternoon cuppa or enjoyed as part of the Christmas festivities. The rum in the recipe makes them not quite paleo, but it’s Christmas time, so who can be that fussy! Enjoy
Paleo Rum Balls
- 2 cups almond meal/or your choice of nuts crushed to a meal)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut + extra if needed
- 1/2 cup dried dates
- 1/2 cup raw cacao
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup roughly crushed walnuts (optional- for texture)
- 2 Tb rum (more if you like them rummy)
- Process coconut & dates in a food processor until they resemble a fine meal.
- Add nuts or meal to the date and coconut mixture and continue to process until combined.
- Pour the processed mix into a bowl.
- Add coconut oil, cacao, rice malt syrup, rum and extra chopped nuts if using then stir to combine.
- Add more coconut if the mixture is too wet, and more coconut oil if it’s too dry.
- Roll mixture into balls then coat in extra coconut.
Keep in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer until ready to eat.
I quite like the rum balls if they have a few chunks of nuts still intact as it gives a bit more texture but that is entirely personal. They work just as well made with almond meal and no chunks.