This Mexican red cabbage & apple coleslaw is deliciously refreshing accompaniment to Mexican meals or grilled meat. The apple sweetens the coleslaw and olive oil instead of heavy mayonnaise makes it light and fresh.
Carly’s Red Cabbage & Apple Coleslaw Recipe
Ingredients: Red Cabbage & Apple Coleslaw
- 1/4 red cabbage shredded as finely as you can (approx. 3 cups)
- 2/3 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1/2 cup cooked and cooled corn kernels
- 3 Tb finely diced spanish onion (just under half an onion)
- 3 Tb chopped fresh coriander
- 3 Tb lime juice
- 3 Tb olive oil
- salt to taste
Method: Mexican Red Cabbage and Apple Coleslaw
- Mix lime juice and olive oil together in a large bowl
- Add all other ingredients to the bowl and toss together.
- Serve with your favourite Mexican dish or as an accompaniment to grilled meat.
We love our Mexican served with guacamole , salsa, sour cream or thick yoghurt and grated cheese.
- Try and make as close to eating as possible as the apple can brown and onion oxidises the longer it is exposed to air. Note the natural red colour in the cabbage can leak into the other ingredients. This won’t effect the flavour.
- This recipe is easily doubled if making for a large family.
If you have enjoyed this recipe or have any suggestions I would love to hear from you. Comment below. You can also follow Carly’s Recipe on Instagram @carlysrecipe