Easily one of my favourite Salads. Lentil and Barley Salad is a perfect accompaniment to Greek food, grilled meats or just on its own.
Lentil and Barley Salad
- 3/4 cup barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup French style dried lentils
- 4 Tb olive oil
- 4 Tb lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 Tb seeded mustard
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds toasted
- Bring a large saucepan of water (3/4 full) to the boil and add the barley and bay leaves. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the lentils to the water and barley, and simmer for a further 25 minutes.
- Drain off any excess water and remove the bay leaves.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, seeded mustard and crushed garlic and stir into hot lentil mix. Allow to cool.
- Add spanish onion, parsley, coriander, feta, currants, and toasted almonds and toss gently together.
- This salad can easily be adjusted to personal taste by adding more or less of the 5 final ingredients as well as olive oil or lemon juice.
- For something different try adding roasted or tinned baby beetroot
- For aesthetics, I am serving this salad for a dinner party I like to boil the barley and the lentils separately so that the barley doesn’t absorb the colour of the lentil. It makes no difference to taste but I like the look of it a little more. (barley-35mins, Lentils-25mins)
Try the lentil and barley salad with the following Greek Favourites:
Subscribe now and receive 5 Ways to Save Time & Money in the Kitchen